Sunday, June 23, 2013

Swiss Chard & Garlic Frittata

Here it goes with meal planning. I was a little lazy today and I only made tomorrow morning's breakfast and tea. But I'll be off of work early so I can make a little more of this week's food from my post eating clean on a budget. With the Swiss Chard and free-range eggs I purchased, I made a frittata. I already had a single-serving pack of cottage cheese, the shaved & grated cheese in my fridge, as well as the garlic because they are staples that I always have. With the mint that I bought, I added it to the green tea I prepped for tomorrow. Make sure to tear the leaves after you wash them so the mint really infuses the tea. I'll be making another Summer Tomato Salad with the tomatoes and basil I bought and tomorrow's water will be infused with the cute key limes. Tomorrow for dinner (and Tuesday's lunch) I think I'll do something with the grass-fed beef in my freezer and the fennel I bought. With the goat's milk, I'm thinking I may try to make some ice cream this week. I've taken dairy milk (except for hard cheeses, the occasional cottage cheese for frittatas and sour cream from time to time) out of my diet and it has made a big difference for me (for the reduction of inflammation & sugar-which is inflammatory). I haven't experimented with raw milk, which they have at the farmer's market but eventually I will. So here's the recipe, pretty much the same frittata with a little variation. It's a great base recipe that you can get creative with. 




  • 4-5 large leaves of rainbow swiss chard, sliced into thin ribbons
  • 1 clove of sliced garlic
  • 1/4 cup of cottage cheese
  • 2 oz. of shaved parmesan, grated romano & asiago
  • 3 whole eggs 
  • 3 egg whites
  • A pinch of sea salt & fresh ground pepper



  1. Heat a medium pan on medium heat, add a small amount of Kerrygold butter
  2. Saute the garlic until browned
  3. Whip 3 whole eggs, 3 eggs whites, and cottage cheese together
  4. Add the egg mixture to the garlic in the heated pan 
  5. Turn oven on broil
  6. Set the bottom of the frittata, 3-5 minutes
  7. Add raw swiss chard ribbons to the pan, allow to sink into egg mixture
  8. Add the cheese on top and allow for it to be absorbed by the egg mixture
  9. Place entire pan into oven 
  10. Broil for 2-3 minutes to set the frittata and brown the top
  11. Remove with an oven mitt
  12. Allow to sit for a few minutes, then cut open and enjoy!
You should be able to slice this into 4 servings, so you have breakfast for the next few days!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment