Saturday, June 22, 2013

Eating Clean on a Budget

One of the biggest complaints I hear is that eating healthy is too expensive. I beg to disagree. I shop at the Farmer's Market every week for grass-fed, organic, antibiotic-free beef; free-range, grain-fed chicken & eggs; fresh, in season, organic fruits & veggies; organic cheeses & butter; organic spices without artificial food dyes or fillers; non-GMO grains, herbs, and spices; goat's milk; and a ton of other things. You really don't need more than that, as far as food prep goes. I even buy great knives from the Amish co-op! The trick, I think, is to meal plan so you are using all of your ingredients and nothing goes to waste. It's a little more European than American in approach to food. But it works fabulously for your budget & your waistline. I love roaming around getting inspiration from all of the beautiful, fresh ingredients and being outside! It's so much more natural, don't you think? Here's my latest bounty from today's trip to the market.


Lemongrass, Key Lime, mint, fennel, tomatoes, rainbow chard, chives, cilantro, green onion, basil, and goat's milk. All for less than $20. Now does that sound unreasonable to you? I'll post the meals I prep with these ingredients this week. Happy meal prepping! 


An old graphic from the USDA. Old wisdom that still rings true today. I often heard this saying from my depression era grandparents: "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without.". How many of us do this today? Food for thought! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment