Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summer Tomato Salad


This is a super easy dish you can make ahead or in a pinch. I love keeping plenty of tomatoes and basil on hand during the summer. A winter tomato just doesn't pass muster-disappointing at best. Make sure to keep parmesan, romano, and asiago on hand also-I like to buy a block and grate it fresh myself. This way I know what it contains (no sawdust!), and it tastes infinitely better. This can serve as a salad before dinner, a side for any dish, or as a great snack. I love fresh, summer tomatoes. Their ripe flesh is so deep red in color and the smell and taste are intoxicating. Add a little basil, italian cheeses, and high quality sea salt and you have the perfect little dish! This tastes great with a little buttery chardonnay. I love Cuvaison Chardonnay. And yes, I drink wine. 1-2 moderate size glasses a day. 


  • 1 large ripe tomato
  • 1-2 oz shaved parmesan, grated romano & asiago (prep a lot ahead of time, that way it's always ready!)
  • 1-2 fresh basil leaves
  • A pinch of high quality sea salt
  • Optional: Crushed red pepper for a kick

  1. Cut up the tomato and arrange on plate
  2. Sprinkle cheese, basil, salt, and pepper on top
  3. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment