Monday, May 27, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Mousse

I love this recipe from Chocolate-Covered Katie | The Healthy Dessert Blog. It's a simple recipe with easy ingredients and is much healthier than a typical chocolate mousse. This mousse is delicious and doesn't compromise on flavor or texture. You can also put this in the freezer, and make it into a frozen confection. I made this for Easter and it was a hit with my family. Tell me what you think! 



    •  1 can of coconut milk (either organic Thai Kitchen coconut milk or Trader Joe's coconut cream works best)
    •  1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder (I get mine from an Amish Co-op)
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (don't get the artificially flavored-the Madagascar extract is the best-worth the splurge)
    • Sweetener to taste-the recipe calls for powdered sugar or stevia, but I use raw, local honey


    1. Transfer the coconut milk/cream to a bowl and refrigerate overnight,                 uncovered to thicken.
    2. Transfer the thickened contents only (drain the liquid off) to a bowl
    3. Add the cocoa, vanilla extract, and sweetener to the coconut milk/cream and whip together with a fork or beaters. 
    4. To thicken even more, transfer back to the fridge uncovered. 
    5. For the lovely presentation in the picture, you can pipe the mousse out using an icing tip. 

    I love serving these in old-fashioned ice cream dishes and iced tea spoons to make them feel even more special. I also garnish with a little shredded coconut. Presentation is everything!

    Photo and recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie | A Healthy Dessert Blog. Check it out for more great recipes!

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for the great recipe! I used a little peppermint extract as well as vanilla. I served chilled. Really good!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the great recipe! I used a little peppermint extract as well as vanilla. I served chilled. Really good!

      ReplyDelete