Monday, May 19, 2014

Help! I've fallen...and I can't get back up!!

I'm in completely new territory. I've moved back to my beloved New Orleans (not the issue). This is my first time I've shared a living space in a while-I'm temporarily living with family. I've taken a new job, my first outside a fitness setting in 12+ years. And I'm at my first "desk" job in 15 years. Lots of firsts. 

I'm off my routine, to say the least. 

Living with family, I'm surrounded by food I wouldn't normally keep in my own home. For me, out of sight is definitely out of mind. If a craving should arise, my hatred for driving would normally me deter me from going out to the grocery to get it. Such is my hatred for driving. 

At work, although I am on my feet most of the day, I am relatively inactive. I've been lucky enough to have held a job in a health club for most of my adult life. So my life was active-meetings usually involved a fitness session and healthy eats. My current job has neither a yoga studio or weights, TRX bands nor Crossfit box. We frequently run for Starbucks (lattes, frappucinos, and pastries)-several times a day-and order lunch daily (Po-boys, fried food, bagels, wings). 

Have I mentioned I'm also completely off my sleep schedule? I am a firm believer that this is just as detrimental as simple carbs to your health and weight. My regular schedule has me asleep by 10 p.m. and awake by 6 p.m., without an alarm. Of course, it helped that my bed in my last two homes was positioned beneath a window that had the sun shining in my eyes upon sunrise. 

At home and work, this is what I see: 


Lots of it. No bueno. 

Chips, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, coffee drinks, carb-y meals = Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar. 

I hate math but I do speak food & fitness:

Sugar + Inactivity = Fat butt 

So, there you go. 

I'm lucky to still work for Pure Barre New Orleans, and to be teaching yoga and Pilates again soon. But: 


Energy in = Energy out

There has to be balance with your food and fitness. Even a 5 minute burst several times a day, all out. I know that right now, I am eating a lot more sugar than my body is accustomed to. So I have "Wheat Belly". I'm maintaining, but I'm soft. And I don't like soft. So I can take the shortcut: 

Joking. 

And I can remember this: 


I don't even know if this is true. But it terrifies me enough. 'Cause I don't burpee. Not even once. 

I'll choose "clean up my act". Make a new routine. And find balance in this new situation, however temporary it is. No excuses. And you're here to keep me accountable. I'll keep YOU posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment